Old 27-06-2019, 06:46 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 72 / Power: 6
wymore deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy
Re: BEST FOOD DISCUSSION - Palatable, Savory, Delicious Food Found In ASEAN

You Kee XO Restaurant (有记XO烧腊之家): Famous JB Roast Meat Eatery With Charcoal-Fired Herbal Soup At Joo Chiat

You Kee XO Restaurant (有记XO烧腊之家)
43 Joo Chiat Place, Singapore 427767

Operating Hours: 10.30am - 3pm & 5pm - 9pm (Mon - Fri) 10.30am - 9pm (Sat, Sun & PH)

Founded by Mr You Kee in 1996, You Kee XO Restaurant has four outlets in JB. The latest one has opened right in the ever-popular KSL Mall in February 2018.

The full-bodied soup had zero preservatives or additional flavouring and had a natural sweetness to it, the kind you’d only get if you used kampong chicken for the soup’s base stock.

The soup was incredibly warm, nourishing and comforting, and easily fed five to six people. For S$12 a pot, I’d say this is an absolute steal.

The roast pork belly was roasted perfectly. When I raked my fork over the top of its crispy skin, there was that delightful rustle. And when I bit into the meat, the meat and fat melted in my mouth in one glorious mess.

Be sure to dip the roast pork belly into the chilli sauce! While it looks lethal, it actually reminded me of the chilli you get with chicken rice. It was tangy, with a good pungent spicy kick from the garlic and chilli, and it was nice and zesty thanks to the addition of lime.

A knock-out side dish I had was the Handmade Signature Bean Curd (S$8.80), which can easily feed seven or eight people.

Topped off with dried shrimp, pork floss, nori, minced meat and spring onions, the tofu was incredibly soft and silky, without that gritty aftertaste you’d get from commercially-made bean curd.