View Single Post
Old 09-08-2023, 09:50 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 796 / Power: 14
peanodood1337 is a splendid one to beholdpeanodood1337 is a splendid one to beholdpeanodood1337 is a splendid one to beholdpeanodood1337 is a splendid one to beholdpeanodood1337 is a splendid one to beholdpeanodood1337 is a splendid one to beholdpeanodood1337 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Lets talk about retirement

I used to entertain thoughts of leaving Singapore in the distant past. But after having traveled around for a bit, I've come to the realization that the safety, security and stability in Singapore is pretty much unparalleled.

When you're old and chock full of chronic illnesses, it is not a good idea to stay in places without decent and affordable healthcare. You'll also want to find a safe haven with low crime rate, sound public policies and good international relationships to live out the rest of your days in peace.

Yes, the cost of living can be cheaper in other countries. But there are pros and cons everywhere you go. This is something everyone of us must weight properly before making our decisions. Always remember that the grass will always look greener on the other side of the pasture.

To be honest, I think it is entirely possible to live comfortably as Average Joes in Singapore. Spend within your means. Take public transport. Go for BTO. Cook or eat at coffee shops. Send your kids to public schools. Visit polyclinics and public hospitals. Stop visiting whores. Don't make stupid mistakes with your money. It'll be fine.

If you run into a financial emergency, as long as you are holding onto a Pink IC, you can always seek waivers or whatever with your MP. They are paid multi-million dollar salaries to serve the people - make them work for you as and when necessary.

So what should you do if you want to be able to afford the finer things in life? Start investing. Don't speculate - none of that crypto NFT bullshit. Buy blue chips, bank bonds, government bonds. When you get dividends, don't blow the entire load on useless things. Put the money back into your investments. Make your money make money for you.

Yes, this all sounds very boring. But boring = stability. Which is good. We don't want our finances to be like a roller-coaster ride ya? Anyway that's just my 2cts. Maybe its the National Day patriotism speaking. But I reckon Singapore seriously isn't all that bad.

Wishing everyone happiness and health. Take care.